Noticing that your Ford F150 anti theft won’t start? As you may have known already, cars—including the F150—have plenty of complicated electronic system like engine management system, stability control, and anti-theft system. Typically, unless something goes awry, these components aren’t given much thought by the owners, including for the anti-theft function.
The F150 features a PATS or passive anti-theft system that includes engine immobilizer technology and alarm designed to stop the vehicle from being stolen, as the name implies. In simple words, it prevents the engine from starting except if the integrated key head transmitter is used. The keys are commonly referred as chip keys or transponder.
Each F150 includes transponder key system that lets owner to electronically program it into the engine. After it is programmed, only the chip keys or smart keys can be used to make the engine starts. The anti-theft keys can be reset from the driver’s seat in merely seconds and used immediately.
If you find your Ford F150 anti theft won’t start and would like to reset it, you will need to provide two keys: the original and new one to complete the procedure. Otherwise, you will need to bring your F150 to the Ford service center.
Now, if you already have both keys on hand, follow the guide on how to reset anti theft system on Ford F150 below:
- Input the first original key into the ignition. Put the ignition on the ‘ON’ position and keep it that way for more than 3 seconds but less than 10 seconds.
- Put the ignition on the ‘OFF’ position and take off the key. After the several seconds you’ve run, input the second original key into the ignition, then repeat the first step.
- Put the ignition on the ‘OFF’ position and take off the second original key from the ignition. After the several seconds you’ve run, input the new key into the ignition.
- Put the ignition on the ‘ON’ position and keep it that way for minimum 6 seconds before taking off the new key from the ignition.
- The vehicle engine will start once the key has been programmed correctly and operate the keyless entry system.
The indicator light for the anti-theft function will illuminate for 3 seconds to indicate successful programming. Otherwise, the indicator light might blink rapidly and the truck won’t start or operate through keyless entry system. If you encounter this problem and find that Ford F150 anti theft won’t start persistently, try bringing your truck to the nearest Ford service center.